5 Things You Don’t Want People to Know About You on Social Media
Just wanted to pop in with a little dose of encouragement this morning!
Honestly, social media has all kinds of positives, but it can bring out the dark side in us too.
It’s way too easy to get stuck in scrolling your newsfeed, comparing your life to everyone else and thinking that you aren’t enough. That your life somehow doesn’t compare to her body, her successes, her travel plans, her relationships.
Well, I’m pulling back the curtain and popping in with a friendly reminder that social media often only shows the best stuff, the highlights, the curated portion we want the world to see. That comparison trap is REAL, and reminds me of a favourite quote of mine:
“Comparison is the thief of joy.” – Theodore Roosevelt
That totally speaks to me, because every time we start to get pulled down the rabbit hole, gratitude for what we have goes right out the window.
And the worst part? We’re still just comparing ourselves to a highlight reel that someone else wants us to see, not even the full picture!
So, I’m giving you a few real life examples of what life is looking like over here lately, because I can tell you it’s definitely not picture perfect, ha!
1. I only wash my hair twice a week and wear eye makeup maybe 1X per week because it’s honestly too much effort and I can’t be bothered. Extra time to put it on, extra time to rub it off, pffft. No thanks. Brows, however, are a different story.
2. Went to the gym 3 days in a row this past weekend (and damn, did it felt GOOD!) Prior to that, I had maybe been 3 times in 3 weeks. #lifehappens
3. Sometimes self care is journalling and attempting meditation by trying to push through the random thoughts that pop into my head every 4.5 seconds. Sometimes, self care means turning on an episode of Game of Thrones for the 16th time.
4. Ate tons of veggies last weekend over the holiday. Also had mini egg brownies, angel food cake and a cupcake.
5. Feels like I have spent the last 4 days doing the laundry that has been piling up in multiple baskets in the past 2.5 weeks, all while sloooooowly gathering tax info to send to our accountant (and working on a couple new upcoming programs I’m pumped to share with you in the next couple weeks, WOOHOO!)
If someone’s life ever looks super glamorous or “put together” on social media, just remember that we control what we let the world see on our accounts. Show yourself a little love, because there is no “perfect” and despite the highlight reel that IG shows, there is always more to every story and behind every photo. Now please excuse me while I go deal with more laundry.
(Seriously…it’s taken this whole week to wash it all, hang to dry, and now struggling to get it all folded and put away. It’s almost time to do more.)
What are you getting up to this weekend that isn’t necessarily social media-worthy? Hit reply and let me know! Or, pop on over to Instagram to come hang with me, because I’m sharing the random, real-life, so-far-from-perfection-it’s-laughable moments over there daily!
>>>Want to chat more? Did you know that I offer FREE 30 minute calls? My Success Strategy Checkup calls help you zero in on where you might be struggling in terms of your mindset, digestion or hormones and give you some actionable steps to move forward. I’d love to chat with you, and only offer about 5 of these spots each month, grab your spot now!<<<